Notice: New state fees went into effect on August 1, 2019

  • If you have not purchased your July registration yet, the preprinted amount on your renewal notice will increase by $ 3.25
  • Most title transfers will increase by $ 5.50
  • Drivers license fees have also increased, those fees vary greatly.
  • If your vehicle is due to renew in August, due to the fee increase, the State of MN will not be mailing the August renewal notices until August 9th, the delay was to allow time to have the correct fees printed on the notices.
  • If you have not received a renewal notice and wish to renew, the registered owner can come into the office with their ID, proof of current insurance and the license plate number of the vehicle. We should be able to find your information in the computer and sell you the registration, without your renewal notice.

License Tab Issuance & Renewal Registration

We can assist you with the registration and renewals for your autos, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, boats, ATV’s, snowmobiles, classic car, and other miscellaneous vehicles.

Current insurance information for the vehicle is required for renewal, including Insurance company (not agent) name, policy number and expiration date

Renewal Registration
Vehicle Registration (tabs) expire each year. The month of your renewal can be found on your vehicle’s current license plate. The DVS will also mail your renewal notice about a month prior to your registration’s expiration date. If you don’t receive it, contact us. There is no registration purchase grace period in MN. Registration is due the last day of the month. After purchase, your registration must be displayed, on your license plate, by midnight of the tenth day of the following month.

You can renew your vehicle’s registration by coming, in person,  to either the Crossroads License Bureau or Airport License Bureau. You may mail your tab renewal along with a check or money order. Current insurance information for the vehicle is required including Insurance company (not agent) name, policy number and expiration date. Tabs will be processed and mailed back to you. Make sure you inform us of the address you want the tabs mailed to and please include a phone number so we may contact you if we have questions. Mail the registration and a check to Crossroads License Bureau, 1201 South Broadway Rochester, MN 55904.

If you have not received the renewal notice in the mail from the state, call or email us with the license plate number and so we can inform you of your price. Then you may mail the payment along with a note verifying the correct vehicle to renew, include your name, plate number, year and make of vehicle and sign the note. Current insurance information for the vehicle is required including Insurance company (not agent) name, policy number and expiration date.

First-Time Registration
You need to register your vehicle for the first time if you’ve:

  • Recently relocated to to the state
  • Received a vehicle from a family member, as a gift, or as an inheritance
  • Recently purchased a used vehicle

After purchasing, you have 10 days to transfer the title to the vehicle.
If you’re a new resident, however, you have 60 days to register.

If you’re registering a recently purchased out-of-state vehicle, you must complete an application to title. If you purchased a MN titled vehicle, the transfer will take place right on the MN title document.

  • Complete a Registration Application, required for vehicles new to MN or brand new
  • Have the vehicle’s Minnesota title. (Request a duplicate Minnesota title if needed)
  • Bring a current Government issued identification card
  • Odometer reading on the vehicle
  • Name and address of lien holder, if applicable
  • Lien Release if the title lists a lien holder

Motorcycle registration in Minnesota must be done annually. If you are a motorcycle rider and are new to Minnesota, you have 60 days to register your bike. MN law requires the applicant to provide the engine number, found on the block of the engine, at the time of first registration or time of transfer.  The engine number is different than the frame number.

Look up your motor vehicle registration tax paid here.